Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Can You Say Brrr...?


So today was one of those frigid Canadian winter days when all you want to do is stay curled up under the covers, only coming out to grab a nice, hot cup of cocoa or maybe a wee snack to keep you from gnawing your arm off. Today was not a day I wanted to haul my kiester out of the house, and yet, the children still had to go to school, so crawl out of my cozy nest is what I did.

Sometime around 8:15 or so in the morning, Ian decided that wearing a short sleeved shirt to school would be a good idea. Brian tried to convince him that this was in fact a very bad idea. Ian, being 8 years old and absolutely convinced that his father was simply trying to exert some sort of parental control, would not believe that it could possibly be that cold outside.

So I decided to prove him wrong. "Ian," I said (quite calmly, I might add). "C'mere for a moment, would you?"

I opened the front door and the frigid blast of cold air nearly froze our breath as we stood in the front hall.

"AAAUUUGGGGHHHH!" screamed Ian,standing barefoot and bare armed. "Shut the door! It's freezing out there!"

After carefully closing the door, I turned to my son. "Now will you wear a sweater?" I asked.

"Uh, yes, yes I will," came the response.

See? It's all about speaking to them in a language they can understand.

1 comment:

  1. I can soooo picture that entire scene!! LOL!! That's just like my son...for the last two days he's been home sick from school...(yay, I didn't have to get cold...sorry Barbara!!) and the only thing he wants to wear is a new outfit he got for Christmas... a short outfit! Guess what he does when I have to open the door... he pulls the shirt as far down his legs as it can go and he yells to shut the door!! Kids... has to be their way till you can prove otherwise!!

    ReplyDelete