Saturday, January 3, 2009

Introducing Emma...

One night at dinner, our 8 year old son was being a trifle rude to his parents. I looked him sternly in the eye and demanded, "Ian, are you this disrespectful to your teacher at school?"

"What's that?" he asked.

After a brief discussion of what respect is, I levelled another question at him.

"Does your teacher cook your meals?"

"Ah, no," he replied.

"Does she clean your clothes? Make your bed? Help you with your homework? Read you stories before bed?"

To each question Ian answered no, while his younger brother and sisters looked on.

"Who does all that for you?" I asked.

Looking back and forth between his father and myself, Ian answered, "You do, and Daddy too, I guess."

"Yes, Daddy and I do that, and do you know why?" I questioned.

Ian shook his head no.

Thinking myself very clever, I delivered my coup-de-grace.

"We do it because we are your parents and we love you. So your parents deserve more respect than anyone else on this planet."

From the other end of the table, Emma piped up.

"I want to live on anudder planet."

1 comment:

  1. I remember this story! How is the udder planet Emma is on?! Is it working for her yet?!! LOL!

    ReplyDelete