Tuesday, January 13, 2009

The Aforementioned Jamie...


Jamie is Emma's twin brother. He is younger by 46 minutes. Yes, that's what I said, 46 minutes. In the land of twin births, my understanding is that most twins are born within minutes of each other. As just mentioned, however, this did not occur while my kids were making their way through the birth canal to the outside world.

Emma was born first, she being head down and ready to shove her way out any way she could. Which is kind of like Emma today. Who knew? James was in a full on breach position. The doctors were waiting to see if he would turn himself and make his way out on his own. He didn't. In the end, the attending physician had to reach up and pull Jamie out by his feet. Which is also appropriate, given the child's personality today. No one can make Jamie do something until he's good and ready to do it.

My little boy is an adorable (if I do say so myself), not quite blond little boy with big, sky-blue colored eyes. When he was still a baby, I would look at him and think, "he looks like an angel".

But angel he ain't. Oh no, this kid can be hell on wheels. We're fairly certain the child has ADHD (and what with his mother, father, older brother and possibly twin sister also having it, the likelihood that he doesn't have the condition is fairly low), but this knowledge does not necessarily make it any easier to deal with a mexican jumping bean at the dinner table.

Many people have tried to tell me that he's "just an active boy"...but the fact is, even very active boys are capable of sitting quietly once in a while. James (or Jamie, as he's known to me and the girls-and to his older brother when Ian's ticked off at him) makes Ty Pennington look calm. He's a boy who throws himself head first (literally!) into anything and everything, secure in the knowledge that he "can do it Mama!". He seems to have no fear (other than spiders in the downstairs bathroom), and that amazes me while scaring the crap out of me at the same time. I keep wondering if he will be the child to call me from the top of the bridge just before he bungee jumps off it.

But while he keeps me on my toes, my favorite moments with him are when he first wakes up, before his adrealine has had a chance to kick in. He'll find me, no matter where I am in the house, rush headlong into my arms and want to sit and cuddle with me.

It may only be for a few minutes, but in those precious moments, my baby is still there, still needing my arms and I soak it up for all its worth. And then he's off and running, ready to take on the world, with that little half smile of his that is going to break some girl's heart one day, along with mine.

1 comment:

  1. That's a beautiful shot of him Barbara! He's starting to look a lot like daddy! I have seen both sides of him as you have described. He truly is one amazing little young man!

    ReplyDelete