Sunday, March 1, 2009

I Was Only Kidding...


For the past two weeks, Avery has been asking us if she can take dance classes. First it was hip hop, then it was Irish and/or Scottish dancing, then it was ballet. Ballet was the one she really seemed to stick with, so we started looking around to see what kind of classes (read: how much will it cost us?)there are here in town.

On Friday, she came home from school, and excitedly announced that what she really wanted was to play soccer. The following conversation occurred that night during dinner...

Brian: "So Avery, you want to play soccer now?"
Avery: "Uh-huh."
Me: "I thought you wanted ballet classes?"
Avery: "I changed my mind."
Brian: "What changed your mind?"
Avery: "Well, my friend Madison plays soccer and besides, ballet dancers are always hungry..."
Brian (trying not to choke on his dinner while laughing) "What? Who told you that?"
Avery (pointing at her mother who was having difficulty swallowing her own food): "Mama did...and I don't want to be hungry. So I want to play soccer. Soccer players aren't hungry all the time..."

Brian looked over at me, laughing and said, "You told her that?"

"Avery," I finally sputtered. "I was only kidding..."

Avery: "Ooooh...I didn't know that..."

Which just goes to show that 6 year olds don't always get the joke...

1 comment:

  1. I'm having the same problem with Matthew!! They just don't get jokes the way we did as kids!! Too serious all the time... taking things to heart that shouldn't be!!

    ReplyDelete