Sunday, February 15, 2009

Some Days You Just Won't Win...


Yesterday my kids were "meeting" each other on Club Penguin. For those of you that don't know, Club Penguin is an online kids community created by a group of parents in British Columbia who wanted to make sure their kids had a safe, online venue.

The kids each get their own penguin, and roam around the "town", meeting each other or playing various games to win coins, which they then use to either buy things for their penguins or their puffles. Puffles are pets to the penguins, and you have to feed them every day, or they will run away, and then you have to play more games to get more coins to get another puffle to feed it and keep it happy and so on and so on...

One of the places the penguins can meet is the dojo. (Yep, apparently there are ninja penguins in the Antarctic...don't see that on the Discovery channel, now do you?) My kids, using my laptop, my husband's laptop and their computer, like to go to the dojo together, where they try to advance from one belt level to the next.

However, Brian and I have to keep telling them how to pronounce the word, "dojo". They keep calling it a "doo-jo". We tell them again and again that the proper pronounciation is "doe-jo". They do not believe us. This is a conversation between me and Jamie from yesterday morning...

Jamie: "Ian! (Jamie also pronounces Ian's name as 'Eon', another habit we're trying to break) Meet me at the doojo!"
Me: "Jamie, it's called a 'doe-joe'."
Jamie: "No, it's not, it's called a doo-jo!"
Me: "No, Jamie, it's called a doe-jo..."
Jamie: "No, it's not, Mama! It's a doo-jo!"
Me: "Doe-jo!"
Jamie: "Doo-jo!"
Me: "Jamie, will you please just accept that I am your mother and I know a few things that you don't? It's a doe-joe."
Jamie: "Mama, it hasn't been called that for centuries!"

I couldn't say anything else.

Club Penguin - Waddle around and meet new friends!

1 comment:

  1. Trust a kid to make us feel older than we already do! My kids keep asking Grandma about her skin... "what is that?"... "my skin.."... "it looks funny!"... "gee, thanks!...it's because I'm old!"... "I know that... it still looks funny!" Kids certainly have a way with words!! LOL!

    ReplyDelete