Wednesday, January 19, 2011

An Update...




It's been a couple of days since my last post, and based on the phone calls, emails and comments I've received since I wrote about Murphy, I thought I should probably give you an update...

To quote Mark Twain, "The report of (her) death was an exaggeration."

Murphy appears to have recovered from Monday's death knell quite nicely, thank you very much...

In fact, she appears to be somewhat annoyed with all the hoopla surrounding her...especially the attention that Ian is now giving her...he gets a little concerned (ok, that's an understatement of epic proportions)that she is not jumping up and down in excitement when we walk through the door or get up in the morning...like any old lady, she takes her time rising from her position of comfort, but in the end, she does get up...

On Monday night, Brian slept downstairs on the couch to keep an ear out in case anything happened to Murphy during the night and to keep her from trying to climb the stairs to her usual sleeping spot...

Last night before dinner, Murphy had had enough with not being able to move beyond the main floor and shoved the chair (the one blocking her passage) out of the way, slowly climbed the stairs, then lay down on the landing, wheezing and coughing, but looking at me with the most gleeful, defiant look I've ever seen on a dog...it was like she was telling me, "Try and keep me from doing what I want, will you? Ha!"

And so the wait continues...because even though she seems to have gathered a second (third? hundredth?) wind, we know the time is still coming in the not-so-distant future that she will be leaving us for good...

Until then, we are taking things one day at a time...getting in as many hugs, kisses and loving as we can and taking picture after picture of this grand old lady...

No comments:

Post a Comment