Friday, September 20, 2013

Inside the Mind of a Child...

"Mama, are you going to sell me for child labour?"

So asked Emma this afternoon, after she came home from school...

"Wh-a-a-t?" I replied.

"We learned about child labour in school today and I want to know if you're going to sell me so I become a slave and a child labour," she said.  (Pretty sure she meant labourer, but the kid's 9, she still mispronounces things - hell, I'm 45 and I still screw up occasionally)

"No, Emma," I assured her.  "I am not going to sell you into child slavery."

She seemed relieved as she threw her arms around my neck and held on for dear life...

And then there's Ian, who refuses to use a calculator for grade 8 math, because, as he told his teacher, "It's cheating!"

She tried to assure him that she was letting everyone else in the class use one, but it took me, Brian and Miss Kelly to convince him that trying to figure out the square root of numbers like 8.97654 is not exactly easy to do in your head...

The ideas that children get really do boggle the mind some days...

2 comments:

  1. Okay if I sold my daughter for child labour... how much would I get for her again???? ummmmmmm:):):)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I suppose that would depend on what her special talents are...;)

    ReplyDelete