Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Why There's Been Nothing New For Two Weeks...

So it's been nearly two weeks since my last post and to the six followers I have, I would like to apologize. Brian got home Saturday, August 1, and since then we have been trying to make up for the "worst summer vacation ever" (as proclaimed by our oldest, Ian)...to be fair, the weather has played a huge part in this summer's lack of activities that the kids want or can do...going swimming being the highest priority for all four of them. Call me crazy, but I still hold to the belief that you shouldn't be anywhere near water while lightening cracks and thunder rolls across the sky...my children do not agree with me.

Yesterday, the sun was not only shining, it was actually hot here in Ottawa...something that has not occurred since the end of June...and so we took the kids over to the wading pool by the public library to enjoy some summertime fun. Well, Brian took the kids, I dropped the five of them off and went to pick up a few groceries without having a constant tug on my arm or shirt and listening to one of four kids tell me why we absolutely have to have Dunkaroos (which, by the way, I have tasted and find truly disgusting) or any other form of junk food (don't get me wrong, we're not some sort of fanatical-we-only-eat-100%-pure-preservative-free-make-sure-no-one-was-harmed-in-the-making-of-this-food-people...I personally think that Cheetos are just fine on a Saturday night while we watch a family movie, I just don't happen to think kids need junk every day of their lives)...

On top of this, we spent the day Saturday at my sister and brother-in-law's cottage and have now been listening to lots and lots of requests for us to buy our own summer home (read: Ian, especially, won't stop asking, "Can we buy a cottage too?")...and now Avery is asking for a puppy for her upcoming birthday ("It's the only thing I want for my birthday...")...

And in the next week or so, despite Ian's very vocal objections, I am going to have to start shopping for back-to-school supplies. Our school board here in Ottawa has decided that school should start on August 31, instead of one week later, and Ian is absolutely beside himself with the knowledge that summer vacation is rapidly coming to an end...

I've also spent the last few days writing an article for Mercatornet.com, which will be posted next week. My editor (ahem, Brian) nagged me, I mean, asked me, to finish the article for this week...only to find out that the big boss wants it for next week's edition...anyway, the thing's done and when it's posted, I'll post a link for it here...ooh, look at me, being all fancy writer-like...ha!

So there's your update, folks...now I'm going out to enjoy some of that sunshine...at least until it starts raining again...

No comments:

Post a Comment